Marion County, created from Lee and Muscogee counties in 1827, is named for the Patriot hero, General Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox.” The county seat, Buena Vista, commemorates the famous battle during the Mexican War. Good relations with the Creek Indians in this region permitted opening of a trace in 1805 that led westward toward Mobile, Alabama. It became the old Federal Road, west Georgia’s first vehicular thoroughfare.
Marion County Courthouse History
The Marion County Courthouse is a historic county courthouse in Buena Vista, Georgia, county seat of Marion County, Georgia. It was built in 1850 of local brick. A historical marker commemorates the courthouse and its construction. A columned entrance was added in 1928. The courthouse’s architecture is described as Vernacular architecture with Neoclassical Revival architecture alterations. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 18, 1980. It is located in Courthouse Square.
The Old Marion County Courthouse in Tazewell, Georgia is also listed on the National Register.