Sheriff Derrell Neal graduated from Tri-County High School and went to Columbus’ continuing education to become a peace officer. He is married to Carol Kelly Neal and has three children. He is a certified DARE officer and has been a law enforcement officer for 26 years. In 2012 he attended sheriff academy and was elected sheriff in 2013 and has been serving Marion County ever since.
The purpose of the Sheriff’s office is to serve the citizens of Marion County by professionally and efficiently maintaining peace, protecting life, protecting property and providing service to the community in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and the State of Georgia.
They are responsible for serving as officers of the Courts to provide safety and security, and serving criminal warrants, subpoenas and civil processes.
Goals and Objectives:
- Safely serve all criminal warrants received in the Sheriff’s Office sent by the Courts and other agencies both in and out of state.
- Prioritize order of service according to defendant’s threat to community.
- Utilize strategic planning and adequate staffing when serving high risk warrants.
- Serve all Civil Processes and maintain a nearly 100% success rate.
- Ensure civil papers are promptly logged in and assigned for service.
- Ensure adequate time is available to serve the processes correctly.
- Maintain the Sex Offender Registry
- Ensure all Offenders are properly registered, and that information is correctly reported to the Georgia Crime Information Center.
- Ensure quarterly verifications are completed and offenders not in compliance are prosecuted.
- To make safe and timely transports of Inmates and Mental Health Patients to various prisons and institutions throughout the state.
- Provide proper training and equipment for the transport of various classifications of individuals.
- Ensure the fleet is in safe and prepared condition for transporting inmates and patients.
- Maintain a safe and secure Courthouse for all Judges, Employees and the General Public.
- Ensure all Deputies/Court Security Officers are properly trained using the security devices and tools available at the Courthouse.
- Staff all Courts with an adequate number of trained Deputies to oversee all Courts in session.
- Operate the Detention Center in a safe and constitutional manner.
- Enforce all established policies and procedures.
- Ensure proper staffing within the facility and appropriate scheduling.